Answer these questions in your composition book:
- What is open source software?
- What is the GNU license?
- Is the text editor (Notepad++ or text wrangler) you downloaded open source?
- What is a blog?
- What is a content management system?
- What is a wordpress plug-in? Are they free, too?
- Ask Mrs. P. to have wordpress installed through Dreamhost for your domain. This is easier than installing it yourself.
- Mrs. P. will forward you the email from wordpress. Follow steps 1 and 4 in the email. Pick a STRONG password.
- Add some content to your home page.
- Add a post.
- Toggle between “visual” and “text.” See the HTML?
- Go to appearance/themes and change the theme. How does it look? I like to keep two tabs in my browser open, one for the wordpress editing page, and one for my actual website.
- How does your site look on your phone?
- Add a picture using the Add Media button.
- Uncheck Allow Comments for your page so that spammers can’t inundate you with comments.
- If you want comments, install the Akismet plugin.
- Plug ins give you extra functionality. Try installing the plugin “Contact Form 7.”
- Try adding a widget.
- Add another page
Physics and Chemistry Tutoring in Manhasset, NY